Tuesday, December 16, 2008

About clinging

“Clinging to non-eternal things is arrogance. No clinging is Loving all, so don’t cling and don’t don’t cling because both conceal the Truth.”

Sri H.W.L. Poonja

Arrogance could then be seen as just the idea of ‘I’ since the ‘I’ can only be sustained by ‘clinging’ or attachment. Without attachment all is One. Attachment is the thought that sustains duality or ‘other’.

Non-attachment is the constant focus of our path and it is a path with many bumps, road blocks, detours and such. Here is a little exercise we often suggest at our center: make a list of everything in your life , both positive and negative. Everything that now seems important, things like sex, children, health, chocolate… Everything. Then ask your self: “If it is True that I am Love and nothing else, none of these would hold the slightest sway over my moods. Since my moods inevitably swing from happy to growling there must be things on this list I am not willing to let go of.” Identify the non-negotiables, maybe it is sex, maybe it is chocolate (to many that is the same thing…) then ask your self: “What belief about myself is sustained by this need?” In other words, what does this bring me that I believe I don’t have? In Truth, of course, there is nothing I don’t have, I am whole and I am complete so this must be an echo of a mistaken belief. Have fun with this, if you are really honest you will learn a lot about why you have the things in your life that you do, both positive and negative. Love to One and all, Diederik

No comments:

Post a Comment