Monday, January 12, 2009

A fast car on a slow road

Perception is consistent. What you see reflects your thinking. And your thinking but reflects your choice of what you want to see.

I read the above passage this morning, shortly after I woke up, and thought about what I would like to see in my day today.

I decided that I wanted to see a day filled with peace, and with acceptance of all that comes my way. I used this as my guideline: whenever I was not at peace, I would ask myself what I was choosing to see that was causing my lack of peace.

A little later in the day, I had a long drive to make, and was breezing down the road, driving fast. I nearing my destination, and still covering the kilometers quickly when all of a sudden I came up behind a string of five cars, all crawling along behind a very slow, heavily loaded truck. There was no opportunity for passing on this narrow, two lane winding road.

For a moment, I lost that joyful, free feeling, and felt annoyance and frustration, seeing the impossibility of doing anything but completing the remainder of my drive very slowly. I looked at the situation for a moment, and realized that my perception was that something had gone wrong, something had happened that shouldn’t have. This way of looking at it cost me my peace of mind. I realized that for a moment, I was back living in a world where things go wrong, and frustrate me continually, a world of struggle and hard work.

I wanted to change what I was seeing, so I reminded myself that this moment is perfect, just as it is, and does not need be any other way in order for me to enjoy it. I corrected my belief that life is a struggle, and the thought that anything that goes well and easily is always quickly followed by difficulties.

A hard luck story that I was only too happy to give up!

I moved back into peace, and enjoyed the rest of my drive through the beautiful sunlit countryside of Costa Rica, with a peaceful heart and a quiet mind.

Your friend with a fast car on a slow road, loving it all.

Love,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment