Saturday, January 31, 2009

Finding Hope and Joy

"Don't make the same mistake as all those people who give up trying to change because they feel stuck in their habits. If you truly want to, and are willing to work hard enough, you can overcome them."

Rebbe Nachman of Breslov


A friend handed me a book the other day with the above passage in it. It was a welcome note of encouragement, as I had been feeling discouraged, and questioning the direction I was moving in in my life. My ego was also busy replaying many past events, and colouring them with a sense of failure and regret. As I read the passage, part of me felt that I simply could not try any harder to make changes in my life. The other part of me was greatly relieved to be reminded that I do not need to believe or feed, stories of discouragement and failure that the ego is always standing ready to whisper in my ear. I can always choose to see things from a different perspective.

This quote also reminded me that it is not about trying harder, which in my world is a victim position, but rather about doing whatever is needed to bring myself back to a state of peace. Trying is a practice that keeps the clouds of depression in place. What gently and completely dissipates them is to take a clear look at what I am mistakenly believing about myself and my world, and correcting those beliefs so that I can once again experience the love that I am.

Your friend with a peaceful heart.

Love,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment