Thursday, January 1, 2009

I'd Rather be at Peace

I woke up this morning feeling out of sorts and a bit anxious about what the day would bring. When I am feeling less than joyful, my practice is to look at my thoughts to see what I am thinking and believing about myself that is causing the apparent loss of peace.

I saw that I was holding someone guilty in my mind, and sending thoughts of anger and blame his way. I opened one of my favorite books, and read a passage that has inspired me often in the past, which reminded me to dwell on the many kindnesses and loving deeds my brother has shared with me. When I do this, I am able to see the truth of who he is (and who I am too) instead of looking at the mistakes he has made, and all of the hurts my ego accuses him of causing me.

I closed my eyes to picture him clearly, reviewing some of his many loving words and actions towards me. I began to feel lighter, and as I continued on, started to feel energized and optimistic again. By the end of the ten minutes I spent on this, I was back to being at peace, and feeling that all was well with the world.


For me, this is the simplicity and beauty of the work we do: I always get to choose what I focus on, and whatever that focus is, creates my experience. With every thought, I am choosing between the experience of love and joining or one of sadness, fear and depression. If I am not enjoying what I am experiencing, I am always free to choose again!

Love,

Dawn


No comments:

Post a Comment