Friday, January 16, 2009

Lost and Found

A couple of days ago I was hiking with a small group of people who are staying with us, and two dogs. We climbed up and down over beautiful green pastures edged with trees, through barbed-wire fences and past gentle looking cows. We finally came to a small creek nestled into the gully of a hill which I had seen previously and wanted to explore.


We made our way down to the creek, and crossed over to the other side on the rocks protruding above the surface of the water. Once on the other side, I saw a hill that was new to me, and led my little group to the top of it. We enjoyed a breath-taking view of Lake Arenal and the surrounding jungle areas and pastures.


I would like to add at this point that among my friends I have the reputation of being able to get lost between the dining room and the kitchen, meaning that I have a misplaced sense of direction, or a strong sense of mis-direction. Despite some evidence that this is true, I am never discouraged, and always believe that I know exactly where I am going.


To continue the story of our hike, we admired the view for awhile, and then I lead off in a direction I thought would meet up with our regular hiking trail. We walked for quite a while, but still, I saw nothing that looked familiar. I eventually realized I was lost (again!). We continued on, crawling under tightly strung barbed-wire fences, dodging cows and cow pies and at one point deluged with a tropical rain storm. We also traversed some very steep cow paths, clinging to the side of the hills we were skirting.


Finally I recognized some trees along a fence line that we had passed earlier, and realized that we had come full circle to where we had started our adventure, close to the creek in the gully.

As we headed home, I realized how much fun and laughter we had had during the afternoon. There was a shared sense of adventure, and an appreciation of the beauty that was surrounding us on all sides.


I recalled that for many years in my life, I would have mercilessly criticized myself for getting lost, and would have been surrounded by people who would have been angry and upset, looking for someone to blame.


I appreciate how much fun life is when I am a love finder, not a fault finder, and how easy it is when I am surrounded by like-minded people. Living from an open-hearted appreciation that whatever comes my way can only be for good, my life has become richer than I ever thought it could be. When I look only for where I can give love in each situation I find myself in my resting state is peace.


Sending you much love,


Your friend with a compass with three N points on it, and a furrowed brow


Dawn


No comments:

Post a Comment